Dentist in Mansfield
Properly caring for your teeth and gums are two components of maintaining a healthy smile. Unfortunately, when bacteria in plaque build up, gingivitis forms. If the inflammation is left untreated, it can lead to periodontitis (gum disease) and tooth loss. Identifying the risk factors, recognizing the signs and symptoms, and visiting the dentist regularly can help in prevention and help protect your overall oral health.
Dr. Rashid A. Noor and his team at All Dental near the Mansfield area believe in empowering their patients with knowledge and education. Research shows over 70 percent of Americans ages 65 and older have gum disease. Signs don’t usually appear until patients are in their 30s and 40s. The first step in prevention is to understand which factors increase the risk of disease.
Risk factors of gum disease
- Smoking makes it more difficult for gum tissue to repair itself.
- Not brushing or flossing your teeth daily increases your risk of gingivitis.
- Hormonal changes during menstruation, pregnancy, menopause, and puberty make gums more vulnerable.
- Medications that affect your saliva flow can affect your risk.
- Illness affects your gum condition. Patients with diabetes are at higher risk due to its effect on the body’s ability to use blood sugar.
- Genetics can play a major role in making you more prone to the disease.
- Stress makes it harder for your body to fight off infections.
- Clenching and grinding teeth adds extra force on the teeth, which could accelerate the rate they’re destroyed.
Signs and symptoms
Red, swollen, tender, and bleeding gums are signs you may have the disease. You should also watch for bad breath, loose teeth, and a receding gum line.
Preventative measures include brushing your teeth after meals, flossing at least once a day, using antibacterial mouthwash, and visiting a dentist regularly.
Schedule a visit
At All Dental in Attleboro, Dr. Noor looks at your teeth, gums, bite, bone structure, and plaque level. He may take X-rays to check for bone loss.
By understanding and identifying gum disease symptoms early, you can protect your smile and keep it healthy.
02760 Dentist - Visiting a dentist in 02760 area helps patients prevent cavities
Dentist in Mansfield - Patients in Mansfield see a dentist
02048 Dentist - Patients in 02048 community seek a dentist for Botox treatments
Easton, MA Dental Service - Common problems addressed by dental services in the Easton, MA area
Dentistry Services Mansfield - Take care of your smile with dentistry services in the Mansfield area
Dentist in Norton - Finding the right dentist in the Norton area to address missing or damaged teeth